Google

Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Teenager Lives Here

Cameron has had a realization of what it means to be a teenager!

In most respects he has developed like a typical teen, but there was one area I was greatly concerned about...his room. Cameron slept in his room and nothing more...until yesterday!

Cameron was bored. He and I started an innocent conversation about "when I was your age" and it evolved into, "When I was 13 I began spending all my time in my room, listening to music, playing guitar and rearranging my furniture to create "my space".

Cameron pointed out that if he had a t.v. in his room, he would spend more time there. (John and I had done a pretty good job of keeping t.v.'s out of their rooms - we just didn't like not having the control over what they watched). I jokingly mentioned that we had an old t.v. in our storage room that he could have...and that was it.

Now this t.v. is probably 30 years old - I bought it as a re-conditioned model around 1984. He didn't care - it was the catalyst for re-arranging his entire room.

The pictures are courtesy of Cameron - he wanted to document the evolution. He had a blast and is very proud of the results - frankly, so am I. It was really exciting to see him take ownership and have a passion over his space.


He doesn't even care that the t.v. doesn't have cable. He can get four channels - two of them carry NFL games, all of them carry NCAA games and one (Fox) carries Family Guy - a show we don't let his brother's watch. That in itself has made him feel more grown-up.

We might even get him cable in the new year, if he can show responsibility now! The biggest test...let's see if he keeps his new space clean! Who am I kidding...he's a teenager...

No comments: