Google

Monday, October 1, 2007

The Weekend Without Mum

I left the boys (including John) alone all weekend, knowing they would survive, but also anticipating what the house would look like on my return late Sunday evening!
I wish I could say I went away on a spa weekend...but alas, this weekend was not about me (when is it EVER about me!)
I am a relatively new member of our local Rotary organization. Unlike many other service clubs around the country, ours is very active and thriving in the community. By far the biggest event of the year is the Oktoberfest arts and crafts festival that our club has hosted for 30 years! Held in our main community park, it raises close to $100,000 and has tens of thousands of visitors. This picture I took can attest to the size of the crowd!

As a new member, I decided I should participate in every aspect of the weekend, as a way of understanding the scope of the event, and as a way to get to know my fellow Rotarians better. That meant most of the day Friday, Saturday, beginning at 8am and finishing around 6, and Sunday, starting at 5AM and getting home at 8PM!
So - I was stinking tired and grumpy on my return Sunday night...
After barking something to them about whether they had cut the grass (they hadn't), whether Caeden had done his reading (he had), whether they had showers (yes to all); I scarfed down my only real food all day (a bowl of soup), grabbed a glass of wine, sat on the couch...and fell asleep (full glass still in my hand and believe me, I NEVER leave a glass of wine unfinished!).
This morning when I was back to the land of the living I discovered what my boys had actually done all day...played football with their Dad in the backyard.
The house WAS a mess and the grass HADN'T been cut - and they didn't miss me one bit!
So what should I do next weekend?! Play football in the uncut backyard with my boys...

No comments: