Google

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Who's The Sports Expert Anyway?!

Last night we went to our final Pittsburgh Pirates game of the year. I'm not really sure how it happened we became Pirates fans -- being from Canada (Ah Ha - now you know why I am a "MUM"!) my husband and I have always been rabid Toronto Blue Jays fans; who have and always will be in the American League. The National League is still a new game to us - why in the world would you even bother to bring the pitcher in to bat - you might as well just count an automatic out! I think our new found allegiance to the Pirates must be the Canadian - Jason Bay - the best export from Canada since Larry Walker!
Cameron chose not to join us for this family field trip - it would have meant missing football practice; which would have jeopardized his return to the team after his injury. Besides the team trainer(?...this is middle school!) configured an elaborate padding system around his cast in order for him to play! Anything for the team...
Jackson's "ultimate to the end of the earth best-friend" Donnie joined us instead.
We got to our premium left-field seats as the Diamondbacks were starting BP (I had to be told by an eight year old that this meant batting practice...)
This is where I need to digress (again!) to explain...Jackson is OCD about his team's and their jerseys. He has a Jason Bay Pirates shirt and wears this to all their games. BUT - his favorite team is the Diamondbacks - I have no idea why.
While the boys were standing along the outfield fence, one of the Diamondback players comes over to talk to them and gives them each a high five. In unison, the three of them turn toward John and I with their mouths dropped open - "that was Eric Byrnes-the STAR player"! So I'm thinking...they don't have any clue whether that was Eric Byrnes. After the game begins, my theory is confirmed when the "real" Eric Byrnes comes up to bat - he is very blond and very NOT the guy who high fived them.
As John and I go back and forth about the identity of the high five guy he finally said to me - look, to them it was Eric Byrnes...don't tell them anything different!
That's why he is SportsDAD...
But I was right...

No comments: