Google

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

4:30 to 6:00 (or later...)

It seems everyday, beginning around 4:30pm, life as we know it becomes the Ringling Brothers Circus. That is generally the time I begin running children to three different locations; practices, games, lessons etc., finishing up sometime after 6pm. The sometime after 6 is the variance in this scenario...
Last night, we thought we had everything under control. Cameron started his practice right after school (no worries about him until pick-up at 6), Jackson began at 4:30 at one school, Caeden began at 5:00 at another. John and I perfectly coordinated who would pick up each child, while still allowing me time to get to the grocery store and buy some sort of dessert for our new bible study class that began at 7pm.
I knew I was in trouble when no one was at the field for Caeden at 5pm.
As I sat in my kidmobile, waiting, my cell phone rang...it was a guy from church who works for some sort of lobbying group that I had agreed to join and he needed a check from me within the half hour so he could make his quota for the month. I needed to find a window of time to meet him...
Quick change of plans - John would pick up Jackson at 6, Caeden at 6:30, I will get Cameron at the middle school. In between, I will run home and write my lobbying check...why do I need lobbying again?! I'm Canadian!
When I get to the middle school, Cameron and his team are still on the field. At 6:10 John calls to say Jackson is ALSO still on the field. Time to call the bible study leader...
"Don't worry - show up late...", but I'm scheduled for dessert!...The panic rises in my throat...It's our first night with this new group!
When I get home with Cameron I need to put some sort of dinner together for the boys. John and I?...Guess we'll be starting our first Tuesday of the month prayer and fasting 12 hours early...
John gets home with the other two - runs up the stairs to change - some sort of fish and chicken nugget pasta thing gets put on the table for the boys - and we run out the door (I think it's 6:50 at this point)
Next stop - Giant Eagle for the dessert thing...as we look for something that tastes homemade, John wonders if I know where the Hawkins live? Down the street by the Lutheran church and it's the only house with a white picket fence...
Three streets and two picket fences later (7:20pm) - we land at our destination - completely calm and ready for an enlightening and wonderous evening of bible study!
Not sure about John, but I am completely glazed over by this point - I think I heard a story about Phillip and Spartans and Jews (no, wait a minute...the Spartans are Cameron's football team!)
Oh well - I got it half right. I think God gives bonus points...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some food for thought....

http://www.revolutioninthebleachers.com/