Google

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Homework and Aspergers

As I write this, my husband is attempting to do 5th grade math homework with Jackson. In fact, I came in this office to write this blog in order to get away from John and Jackson and 5th grade math homework.
I am a self-professed math moron. In every other subject I am somewhat gifted (or so they would have labeled me in this label crazed world), but math and I have never spoken the same language. So you can imagine my immense joy when John took a new job closer to home, simply so he could do math homework with the boys! (Well-not the only reason but I'm sticking to my story...)
Problem is - while John is very good at math (he's computer man, after all)- he's not very good at relating math concepts to a boy on the autism spectrum who doesn't want to learn math.
Jackson is an exceptionally intelligent boy. He came home from school yesterday and bragged to me that in social studies, the teacher gave the kids a blank map of the U.S. The class had a contest to see who could fill in the most blanks in the shortest amount of time. Jackson won by a full minute - and filled in every blank! But social studies is easy - he has studied this map every day since first grade when his reward for staying in his seat was the chance to sit by the map on the wall and read.
Math takes longer - you have to actually think. And then - try applying the concept to the real world! (that's where I gave up...)
So tonight - we are dealing with prisms and pyramids and determining the volume inside. But we don't have a prism or a pyramid to look at - and Jackson can't imagine what one would look like. He needs to SEE it. So John draws a prism (rectangle) on a piece of paper and writes the numbers for length, height and width beside it. But - Jackson says - the numbers are upside down! And, that rectangle on the piece of paper is definitely NOT eight inches long - it's more like an inch and a half.
I love my husband and I know he wants to understand Jackson but - he could not figure out why it mattered that the numbers were upside down...and that Jackson kept looking away...and that he was drumming his hands on the kitchen island...and that he was humming an incoherent tune. (well maybe I had trouble with that one...it was actually Pirates of the Caribbean)
They made it through to the end - the battle of the "why aren't you listening?" versus the "why do I have to do this?" titans!
And finally...my sports tie-in...Go TRIBE! And that's all I have to say about that...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow i feel that way myself. i work at group home and we have a child that has just been diagnosed. just being able to know that someone goes through what we go through is strength enough to keep going