Google

Thursday, September 4, 2008

What They Don't Tell You About The First Week Of High School

I remember when Caeden started Kindergarten four years ago they warned us that he wouldn't be himself for the first couple of weeks. Physical and mental exhaustion would consume him and he would be irritable, whiny and inconsolable.

They don't warn you that the same thing happens in high school.

Cameron is a wreck. When I picked him up from football practice last night he absolutely broke down. In fact, I picked up his best-friend Devin too and I'm sure he would have done the same had he not been with me.

He's up at 6am, the bus arrives at 6:45, first bell is 7:45, final bell's at 3pm, then he has 3 hours of football practice - everyday...

So how does he cope?..."I'm quitting football. My heart's just not in it...I've lost my desire".

"Well you know Cameron, we've always said that you can't quit a sport in the middle of the season...but you don't have to play next year if you don't want". I said this as my mind went "who are you and what have you done with my kid?!"

A few hours later, after a shower and a good meat and potatoes meal, it was like the earlier conversation had never happened.

"You know what Mum?...our quarterback is really struggling. The coach might bench him. Then Dayne will be QB and he ALWAYS throws to me in practice".

Welcome to the Jekyll and Hyde world of high school...

1 comment:

KC said...

~sigh~ sometimes I think the coaches in these sports forget these are kids and there school work should come 1st.
Princess is only a 7th grader 1st year Jr High.. she has to be up at 6am out the door at 6:50am, school starts at 7:30am and is done at 2:30am and she goes right form her last class to volleyball practise where she doesn't get home till 5pm.. Now if she has a game she goes right from the last class onto the bus(since all the schools we play are 1 hour to 2 hour away) she plays her game and doesn't get home till 9pm at night then she gets to shower do her homework and study..
I'm all for not being a quiter.. but I tell ya.. if I saw it was taking its toll on her and her grades were dropping.. I would highly think about letting her quit, because as much as we love sports in our family.. her health and grades are going to come 1st..
She told me tonight after her game that she is so tired and just needs to sleep. and she did she showered and passed out before 9pm(it was a home game so she was home by 7pm)

BUT at the same time I think sports are wonderful for kids and she loves it. :)