Google

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The One We Left Behind...

I had every intention of explaining Cameron's absence from the Canada trip, and our insane overnight journey through the wilds of Buffalo, and completely forgot.

Football is serious business - SERIOUS business in our part of the world. Friday night the entire town shuts down to watch the Varsity games. They even sell season tickets!!!

The seriousness extends down to the freshman, except for a select few of the pre-determined stars, if you miss a practice, you don't play. Cameron wanted to play, and he's still trying to prove that he CAN play, so we made arrangements for him to stay behind at a friend's.

As for our journey? Simple - We were NOT going to miss his first game, whether he played or not; we would be there.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

We didn't have a football team at my high school, but I now live in a place where football seems to be big business. I haven't a CLUE about it all, but expect that I'll have to learn. What happens to the kids who don't play or who don't like football?

KC said...

I thought football was big business in every town LOL, but then again I grew up in Ohio.. It's like that here also, and it was like that when I was growing up in a really small town also.
you know what though.. Princess's 7th grade volleyball team is the same way.. If you miss a practices you can't play in the next game, and it was that way when I played high school volleyball also.. So now we are running into the problem of church youth group having a weekend retreat leaving at 4pm on a friday night ONLY volleyball Pract. goes till 5pm.. and her not getting to play in the game on Monday if she misses. Not sure what we are doing about that yet.. I think I'm going to try to clear it with the coach but so far I don't see her saying it would be ok..