Google

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Demolition Derby

I have discovered that I am a complete and total embarrassment to my 14 year old son.

Not that I didn't have some clue that this was the truth. Aren't all Mothers an embarrassment to their son's? Doesn't it start when they refuse to let you kiss them goodbye when they leave for school? (For me, I was banned from public kisses around 10 years old)

I, however, have apparently gone too far in the department of making my son not want to be around me.

We went to the Canfield Fair on Friday night to watch our friend compete in the Demolition Derby. I decided to be fun Mom and take the boys a few hours early to enjoy some rides.

First, I apparently take too many pictures. Evidence of this is my, "Evolution of the Ride", series of Jackson and Caeden.



I think it's pretty clever...Cameron just said "you have to take that camera everywhere, don't you?!"

Fortunately for him, several members of his football team came by at that moment and I told him to go off and hang with them for the next few hours. I gave him some money and sent him off. I thought that was pretty darn big of me. The relief on his face was palpable.

Eventually, he found us at the Grandstand for the start of the demo derby. As our friend started to compete and I was cheering him on from the stands, Cameron half-whispered to me in an extremely irritated voice, "he can't hear you Mom"!

At which point, having had enough of his disdain, I turned to him and said, "am I an embarrassment to you Cameron?" - thinking this would make him think about his attitude towards me...

He looked at my, lowered his head, and said, "we'll talk about it at home"...

3 comments:

KC said...

LOL.. I thought it was our job to embarass our children. :)
Did you talk about it at home??

Anonymous said...

ROTFL at "we'll talk about it at home" AND those first two photos. :)

Understood...one fresh teen and two tween males around here and I've been there done that once before.

Tricia said...

OMG!!! This is hilarious! Did you burst out laughing?

Seriously though, they start refusing kisses around 10? That means I've got 5.5 years and I'm going to start kissing those cheeks extra every day in anticipation of my little guy turning 10. Breaks my heart just to think about it.