Google

Monday, July 21, 2008

Pushy Parent Syndrome

I have tried really hard to not be "that" parent...the one who pushes their kids into doing things they don't want to do.

Sometimes during the intensity of a game or when one of the boys has been sitting on the sidelines, not even having a chance to try, I have become frustrated and a little bit vocal. I always regret it immediately after...

Today I had a dilemma and I hope I did the right thing.

We've had several people telling us that Cameron should try out for quarterback on the freshman team. It started about this time last year when one of the sports heroes of our local high school, himself the starting quarterback at Pitt in the 90's, asked if Cameron was going to play quarterback on the middle school team. He watched him pitch and thought he had a great arm.

We suggested it to Cameron. They had a lose try-out and he wasn't even considered. End of that.

So again this year several of his friends and their parents have suggested he try. Not only does he have a bullet arm, but he's fast. He just wants to play wide receiver. John says end of story - let's leave him alone.

I'm dropping him at practice and I ask who the man is walking into the building. "Oh that's Coach Zetts", he tells me. You mean Tom Zetts dad...Tom Zetts the starting quarterback at Youngstown State? "Yeah" - silence for a minute - "he told me last week that I should consider playing quarterback."

OMG - now you have another in-the-know kind of guy telling you to play quarterback. Maybe you should try again?!?

So he leaves to get ready for practice and I'm thinking...There are 40 kids on the field, unless Cameron speaks up, they may never consider him.

I see the head coach coming out of the building and I walk over and introduce myself; and I tell him what Cameron just told me.

And I've been feeling guilty ever since...should I have left it alone or do I speak up on behalf of my VERY shy son?

Cameron would never have told me what Coach Zetts said unless a part of him really wants to be quarterback - his Dad was a quarterback - he knows it's in his genes!

Based on my continuing angst, I'm hoping this is the last time I speak up for my son when it comes to sports but...I highly doubt it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hopefully he will get a chance at qb if not at least you spoke up and leave it at that