Google

Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Fat Lady Sang...

Baseball is over for the 2008 SportsMum season.

Camerons' all-star "we should win it all" team choked so bad yesterday I expect we'll all be suffering from withdrawal for weeks to come! We expected to be driving to North Carolina on Thursday - now what?

I won't relay the ugly details - but FLAT is a word that comes to mind - flat attitudes, flat efforts, flat ambitions. I almost think these boys really didn't want to play anymore. Again - I have my personal theories about that but it's better left unsaid. If I told you, I'd have to move!

But, of course, the parents are taking it so much harder than the boys. We had them all back here after to swim and eat all the hamburgers and hot dogs that were left over from last week's party. And...they played baseball and laughed and truly had a blast. The game in its purest form - just loving to play.

I keep thinking of the word passion. Earlier in the season, I got in trouble from one of the parents for favoring my son during games and not cheering the team. Perhaps she was right but I will say that Cameron always showed a desire to win and put in a total effort no matter what position he played. Yesterday was no exception - he pitched the second game - struck out three in three innings - was throwing strikes, playable hits for his defense - dove head over heels into first base for one of the ONLY hits of the game - then was pulled out of the game in the middle of the third and cried in the dugout for the remainder (and several hours beyond). Passion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you rock honey boardman needs sportsmum to keep things interesting.i like your posts keep up the good work.