Google

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Bad Mood

I'm not sure how other children on the autism spectrum handle sickness, but Jackson has a pattern of behavior he follows each and every time.

We have reached the bad mood phase, which means he's on the road to recovery.

Phase one is the pre-sickness. Generally he takes on the behavior that he used to have before successful interventions; hyperactivity, aggressiveness, defiance. We don't like this phase!

Phase two, he is sick, generally with a fever. He becomes extraordinarily quiet and glassy eyed, very polite when you speak to him, will do whatever I say. We love this phase, except that he's sick!

Phase three, the fever has broken but there are still some symptoms. He gets very talkative, extremely affectionate and sweet, very cooperative and attentive to others. A Stepford child for the most part - but you won't hear me complaining!

Phase four, he is simply pissed off! He has felt the effects of sickness one too many days, he doesn't want to talk, and he will growl at anyone who looks at him sideways. Wait a minute - I just described a teenager!

I guess we better prepare ourselves - in two more years we could live phase four EVERY DAY! I might need to up the meds - mine I mean!

No comments: