Google

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Ugly Side of Baseball

We saw the ugly side of teenage boys playing baseball tonight. Especially a team of boys who have been preordained as "THE" team to beat in our division.

These boys expect to be perfect, especially Cameron, and when they aren't, it is nothing short of embarrassing.

It's not because they play badly - we, as parents, know they are not perfect. It's because the ATTITUDE is awful.

For instance - Cameron missed two DIVING catches at center field tonight and you'd think he lost the entire game for the team. He came in hanging his head, throwing his glove and wallowing in his self-pity.

He wasn't the only one - tonight's pitcher kicked the dugout walls and actually "quit" the team after the visitors had several good hits and poor defense from us.

My "I've had enough moment" came when Cameron hit a solid grounder to the short stop, advancing our runner from second to third. Unfortunately, he was thrown out at 1st. He turned to go back to the dugout and our first base coach stuck out his hand to high five him on a good hit. Cameron ignored the gesture and ran past.

I promptly ran over to meet him as he came off the field, led him away from the team, and told him if I EVER saw him disrespect his coach again, I would pull him out of the game. He knew I was serious and didn't dare cop an attitude with me.

Initially, I felt I had been out of line in addressing him during the game. But then I realized something - he is 14, he is MY son, and John and I have taught him that, no matter what, he will ALWAYS respect his teachers and coaches.

I may have no control over what he does on the field in his performance...but I will do everything I can to make sure to teach him the qualities of CHARACTER and RESPECT in every other area of his life.

I'm pretty sure he got the message...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Cynthia...I loved this entry because I just had the same 'discussion' with Kyle last week after his team lost their hockey game 1-0. I hate the stick throwing, pouty face, grumpy attitude and he heard ALL ABOUT THAT on the 20 minute car ride home. Of course, they won the next game they played so I didn't get to experience the full glory of the attitude change but I'm sure it won't be too long!

KC said...

I think you did the right thing.. I would have done the same.. I saw attitude in the 1st and 2nd grade boy baseball game yesterday.. I figure these boys are still young and learning.. a little guy got upset that he had to play in the outfield.. he took off his glove yelled I don't want to play out here and then sat down in the field.. The coach is a much nicer person then me I do think.. because he left the kid out there I think I would have placed him on the bench.. In little kids I can over look a few things they are young.. but what really got under my skin was this weekend at my 12 year olds tournament. It wasn't the girls with attitudes.. it was the parents.. sometime I wonder what they are trying to teach there girls.. Princess's travel tournament fastpitch team is ranked #1 in the state.. and they all are very good like you said they aren't always perfect.. but they are very good.. The coaches daughter is the starting pitcher and she was having a very off weekend.. I don't know why but she couldn't throw.. she kept walking people.. The coach being a good coach pulled her and put in the 2nd string pitcher.. but then as he was walking back to the dugout he was upset and had his daughter face mask that she wears while pitching and he threw it really hard across the dug out.. Then later on that same day one of the girls on our team popped out to short shot.. the dad who was sitting behind me shouted out some not so blog friendly words and threw his hat on the ground..
I did everything in my power not to turn around and yell at him.. LOL..
but honestly what is with some of these parents