Google

Friday, January 11, 2008

The Spelling Bee...

What is it about kids on the autism spectrum that makes them such good spellers?! Three years ago I told everyone that Jackson would be in the middle school spelling bee in 5th grade. Today was the day...

In order to become one of the 57 finalists, EVERY child in the school (5th thru 8th grades) had to complete the same written test. Then there was a verbal, in-class elimination. Jackson was one of only eight fifth grade finalists.

I was really excited for him, not only because he was a finalist, but because he was very nervous. He responded like a typical kid in being nervous, not a child on the spectrum! For this, I was excited!

Just before it began, he ran down to me for one final pep talk. Frankly, from years of experience with his sensory issues, the one thing I could really do for him was gently stroke his arm. As I did, he looked hard into my eyes for reassurance. I truly felt this was the only place I wanted to be, with him, at that moment!

He was in the third row. I soon realized the significance of the third row. The words got progressively harder as they went, meaning his placement in the third row was determined by how well he did in the written test. Additionally significant, he was sitting between two eighth grade boys - his older brother's cool friends.
I didn't take any pics of the actual competition - that may have thrown off his concentration...

His word - CAMPAIGN. He was supposed to start by repeating the word, spelling the word and repeating again. He spelled it just fine and walked away. He had to be called back to repeat the word to signify he was finished. First round done...

Second round - SINCERELY. He took his time...S-I-N-C-E-R-L-Y. He missed the second "e". Good God - I would miss the second "e"!

When he was eliminated there were only two fifth graders left in the competition!

As a side note - there were very obviously two other boys, more significantly on the spectrum than Jackson, that were still in the running when he left. My heart was with both of them.

I cannot...CANNOT EVER relay how immensely honored I was to be Jackson's mother this morning. Jackson reminded me I'm more than SportsMum - I'm also his very proud SpellingBeeMum!

No comments: