Google

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Turkey Bowl...Part Deux

The 2007 Turkey Bowl will go down in the annals of football lore as the day men became boys! Due to uptight parents and the history of broken bones, the "bring 'em down hard" tournament became...three hours of flag football.

Anti-climatic?! Perhaps...but to my son, it was the greatest sports day of his life!

The details emerged when I picked him up...As memory serves me, here is the conversation:

Cameron: Mom - you should have seen me. I ran for three touchdowns in the semi final game. Caught two interceptions. Pulled I don't know how many flags. We went to the championship. We lost but only because Chris knocked our guy out of the way for the final touchdown pass - a blatant rule violation but Zack's Dad (who was referee) was at the other end of the field and didn't see it. We got ripped off but I was so awesome!

Mom: Wow, Cameron. How did they pick the teams?

Cameron: By draft.

Mom: Well that's good. I hate when they pick kids by standing you all together and picking one by one. It's so hard for the last kids picked.

Cameron: Mom - that's how they did it. I was 6th from last or something close to it.

Mom: Oh - that's what you meant by draft. You must have been bummed.

Cameron: Yeah - I was pretty upset at the time. But then I played awesome. Zack told me I was his "touchdown guy" for the championship.

Mom: Well - by the sound of it, they won't pick you last again.

Cameron: Nope. I was the man.

There's nothing like a bit of rejection to fire up confidence in my son!

No comments: