Google

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Have You Ever Had One Of Those Days...?

Once a month, being SportsMum and living and working in a world of men becomes a huge problem. Through most of the month I am relatively composed, professional, and sane. But then...exactly day 21 into the month, I become a neurotic, manic, mad-woman!
What sends me into this tailspin? Of course, PMS.

I know just thinking about its emergence sends shivers down the spine of the men in my home. Actually, the boys have no idea what causes Mummy to laugh and cry and scream and hug them (all at the same time!)...they just duck and cover.
It has caused me to make some irrational decisions (like quitting my job in September...) and briefly (I hope...) damage some friendships!

As I get older, the symptoms become more pronounced. But this month, compounded with the fact that neither my husband or I have ANY money coming into our lovely 3,700 square foot home with the lovely mortgage, I am completely over the top pyscho woman.

While I joke about the symptoms, the results really are no laughing matter. Years ago, my college boyfriend's mother committed suicide, directly related to the symptoms of PMS. This affected me profoundly, and I have always been on guard for similar symptoms in me, especially as I approach the menopause years (which is around the time Scott's mother took her life...) It's a pretty scary and real disorder!

What's the point I'm trying to make? This is a long-winded apology and quasi- explanation to the men in my life as to why I have been PMS "don't mess with me" woman the last few days. It's not rational, it's not intentional, but it's real...and I'm sorry...

No comments: